Sunday, May 6, 2012

Great Chalfield Manor - Part I


Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you.... the SUN! 

After weeks of rain clouding the sky and my temper, the light returned to the West Country today. I dare guess that it was not only my soul that shrieked with delight, and for all the visitors at the annual plant sale at Great Chalfield Manor, this weather certainly was a welcome surprise.

Please click on the horizontal images in this post, to view the entire image 
(the right-hand side is somewhat "chopped" otherwise).

Great Chalfield Manor is a historic English country house, built in the 15th century. 
(Read more about Great Chalfield Manor herehere or here.)
The fact that it is just down the road from us and this is my first visit, 
is as surprising as it is scandalous!

(The black "dots" in the grass above are black tulips.)


The gardens are a mix of formal borders, lawns and shaped yew trees, 
and more informal areas, like this lovely wild flower meadow 
in the apple orchard at the back of the house.


This is a beautiful Medieval house with a high wow-factor, 
and the wisterias, rambling roses and other climbing beauties 
hugging its exterior, marry these ancient walls so, so well...




Some gardens just have that special little extra... 


... that thing which makes them a meditative, tranquil and soul-nurturing place to be...

h
... and would not life look rather lovely if contemplated from this bench? 


And what would an old English garden be without its lovely stone walls?


I  love the dual character of these gardens, for example here where we stand in a formal, 
"clean-shaven" spot, looking out into the orchard and the tall grass of the wild meadow.


And yes, I confess to having been a little snap-happy on this lovely sunny Sunday, 
so I have split the photos into two blog posts not to exhaust you...


But, for now, I wish you a lovely start to the new week 
and hope your paths take you through some wonderfully wild meadows!
Helena